Butternut Squash, Okra and Coke Beef

It was an experimental kinda day today. I didn't have recipes...just words of advice. It was my first time making Okra. I tried it at "Mum's" place a couple of weeks ago and thought it was pretty tasty. Her daughter gave me the steps on how to make it but when I started cutting up the okra I was surprised with the stringy, gooey "juice" coming from the veggie. It didn't look appetizing. However I continued on...hoping for the best. I fried up some onion and garlic and then added the Okra. I thought I was supposed to fry it up on med high heat but in fact it is supposed to be med low. So I finished frying it slowly until it was dry and crispy. It was tasty but I will have to try it again to master this dish. Salt to taste.

My next dish was butternut squash. I quickly sauteed some onion and garlic in a saucepan until softened. Adding the butternut squash, I simmered it until soft. I added some salt and a weary weary pepper to add a bit of heat. This was yummy.

Last but not least I had some frozen beef that was supposed to be for Chinese hot pot but I quickly cooked the meat in boiling water and then in a frying pan quickly sauteed it with some soya sauce and 1/2 can of coke that had been reduced to a thick sugar sauce. The boys liked it but I would have preferred it to be even a bit sweeter.

5 comments:

  1. Yum!! ! love butternut squash. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been successful with okar - it always comes out slimy. But I do love butternut squash and soda pop has always been the 'secret' ingredient in our beef (or pork) barbecue marinades!

    ReplyDelete
  3. okra is a bit tricky to make and it is naturally slimy, but keep on trying new recipes! that's great

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love using coke with beef. Whenever I make a roast I make it a "coke roast"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fried okra is one of my favorites. It is best when picked tender, sliced, dipped in egg and dredged in cornmeal and flour. Frying takes the slime away and you are left with a delicious, crunchy treat. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete