Easy Carve Ham to Hambone Shlop!

Last Sunday I made an easy carve ham from Costco. It was delicious and so easy. I usually place the entire ham in a huge pot, bring it to a boil and let sit for a couple of hours...bringing it back up to a boil every half and hour and then turning off the element. It keeps the ham nice and juicy and you don't need to have the oven on for three hours. Then I took the juice from one can of pineapple rings and one cup of brown sugar and reduce down until syrupy. Baste the entire ham and place the ham in the oven for about half an hour at 375F. So yummy!!

Served with the pineapple rings and some corn. Gravy made from the boiled ham water, Montreal steak spice and roux. My kids could just eat steamed rice and gravy if I let them...but I don't.

By the middle of the week we are so tired of eating ham sandwiches, ham and eggs and ham fried rice. There was still so much ham left so I made hambone soup. Super easy I just sauteed some onions, carrots and garlic and then add the ham. I cover with water and simmer for two hours. I like to add pasta or rice so that it's a one bowl meal. Below is what happens when hubby comes home two hours late from work. It's hambone shlop! No more soup...just wet rice, ham and carrots. Oh well...he's the one eating it...still tasted good though.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely meal and a great way to cook a ham. I've never done this but will in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. man, i hear ya with the endless leftovers!

    ReplyDelete